WhatsApp is a great tool that works as a messaging app as well as a social networking option. It has a mobile version and a web version. When it comes to the web version of WhatsApp, it delivers various benefits for users. However, despite all those benefits, the WhatsApp web version too faces some issues at least occasionally. Well, what if you happen to notice that your WhatsApp web not working suddenly?
The truth is that there can be various reasons behind the ‘WhatsApp web not working‘ issue. Also, there are various ways to fix the issue, regardless of the cause behind it. With this guide, we will explain how to fix the ‘WhatsApp web not working' issue.
What can cause the ‘WhatsApp web not working' issue?
Before we take a look at the possible solutions, it is better to get a good understanding of it. In other words, knowing the reasons behind this issue is important for any person. With such knowledge, you can choose the most appropriate solution to address the issues from this list. More importantly, it gives you the opportunity to take precautionary measures so the issues won't take place again. And below are some of the most common reasons behind the ‘WhatsApp web not working' issue.
- WhatsApp web may not work if you fail to clear cookies on the browser. In fact, when browser cookies aren't cleared on a regular basis, various issues can occur other than WhatsApp issues.
- In order to use the WhatsApp web, there must be a stable internet connection. So, if there are internet connection issues, the WhatsApp web client may not function properly.
- If there are some issues with the browser, the WhatsApp web client won't be able to work properly.
So, those are the main causes of this issue. Besides, if your WhatsApp Backup Not Working, this is just for you.
Solutions to fix WhatsApp web not working
Let's get to the main point of this article – the solutions to address the ‘WhatsApp web not working' issue. As we mentioned before, there are multiple solutions to address this issue. Let's take a look at all those solutions one-by-one so you can use the most appropriate method.
01. Check the server of the web client
One of the most common reasons behind WhatsApp's errors is issues related to the web client. WhatsApp's web client can go down due to maintenance or several other reasons. Regardless of the cause, when the server is down, you cannot use WhatsApp's web client. To check if the server is down or not, you should visit the link https://downdetector.com/status/whatsapp/. If this site says that the webserver is down, you will have to wait until it is fixed. In that case, you have nothing to do with it.
02. Check if the browser is compatible or not
Some of the browsers may not be compatible enough to run the web client of WhatsApp. If you are using such a browser, you are unlikely to run WhatsApp on it smoothly. In that case, you will have to check the compatibility of the browser. This should be done after noticing that there is nothing wrong with the server of the web client. Keep in mind that you are very unlikely to experience compatibility issues if you are using a reputed browser. For instance, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Edge are those browsers that don't have any compatibility issues. So, if you are using a different browser than the ones mentioned earlier, switch your browser. Try a reputed browser and load WhatsApp web client on it to see if it works.
Another well-known culprit behind WhatsApp web not working issue is corrupted browser cookies. Apart from WhatsApp-related issues, these cookies can cause various other issues as well. So, it is highly recommended to clear those cookies and get your browser refreshed. To get it done, you should follow the steps mentioned below. Please note that we use Google Chrome as an example here. These steps can slightly vary depending on the browser used.
- First of all, you should click on the menu button, which is located at the top-right corner.
- Then, please click on the option called ‘More Tools‘ and then choose ‘Clear Browsing Data.'
- Make sure that the option labeled ‘Cookies and other site data‘ is checked. Then, please click on the option called ‘Clear Data,' and that will clear cookies.
04. Check if the browser has any updates
If your browser is not updated for a while, the issue might be it. So, the best thing is to check if the browser has any updates and if there are any, install. In order to update your browser, you should follow the steps that are mentioned below. We use Google Chrome as an example in this article, as well.
- First, open Google Chrome. Then, you should click on the three-dotted icon (menu button), which is located at the top-right corner.
- You should now click on the option called ‘Help,' and a list of options will appear. From the available lists, just click on ‘About Google Chrome.'
- Now, you can see the details of the Chrome version you use. Chrome will download the available update if it is outdated.
After updating the browser, you should try the WhatsApp web client on it and see if it works.
05. Check if you have a solid internet connection
If the problem persists, you should see if there is something wrong with the internet connection. It goes without saying that WhatsApp requires an internet connection to function well. However, most of the people neglect to check if the internet connection is actually working. So, all you have to do is to check if the respective device is connected to the internet. To do that, you can simply visit a different web site and see if it loads. Playing a YouTube video is even better because it allows you to check if the connection has enough bandwidth. If it works, there is no issue with the internet connection.
06. Reset your browser's settings to fix ‘WhatsApp Web Not Working'
If you have tried all the methods mentioned above and yet to succeed, try this method as well. As per this method, you should reset the settings of your browser and see if WhatsApp web client works. With such an approach, you can remove any misconfiguration on the browser that prevents WhatsApp from working. And below are the steps to reset the settings of your browser.
- First, launch the browser and then click on the three-dotted (menu) icon located at the top-right corner.
- Then, you should click on the option called ‘Settings‘ and then select the option called ‘Advanced Tools.'
- You can then click on the option called ‘Restore Settings to their original defaults.' After that, you should also click on ‘Restore Settings.'
- Click on ‘Reset Settings‘ so the cookies also will be deleted, and the resetting process will be completed.
07. Disable Airplane Mode
Some users experience connectivity issues on their devices and thereby see their WhatsApp web not working. If this is the case with you, just toggle the Airplane mode on and off. Make sure that you turn on the airplane mode and wait for about 10 seconds before turning it off.
Bonus tip: transferring WhatsApp from one device to another
Some of the individuals want to transfer WhatsApp data from one device to another due to various reasons. Regardless of the reason, transferring data between devices can be problematic. In this case, you will have to use a special tool if you want to make the transfer smooth. Although it can be done manually as well, using a tool like iTransor for WhatsApp is very handy.
If you intend to use iTransor and make the file transferring process smooth, follow the steps below. In this case, we explain how to transfer WhatsApp data from an Android to iPhone.
- First, you should download and install iTransor for WhatsApp software on your computer. Then, launch the app, and you can find an option called ‘Transfer WhatsApp Between Devices.'
- Now, you should connect both the devices to your computer using original USB cables. Now, enable the USB debugging mode on the Android device. Then, you should unlock the iPhone, so iTransor will detect the devices.
- Now that the devices are connected and identified, click on ‘Transfer.' Now, you will see that WhatsApp data is transferring from one device to the other.
Please note that all the WhatsApp data on the original host device will be deleted after this process. So, it is best if you can create a backup of the data you want.
WhatsApp web client is a very useful tool in various cases. If you don't have access to a mobile device, this will be very handy. Also, it can be handy when you want to share a file on your computer with someone on WhatsApp. So, now you know what to do when WhatsApp web not working, keep enjoying it.