WeChat is a fast-growing app that plays the role of a social media platform. Over the past period, the popularity of WeChat has increased substantially. Nowadays, this special tool is used by more than 900 million users. For many users, WeChat is their preferred method of communication. Although WeChat was initially developed as a simple mode of communication, it has evolved a lot now. In fact, it comes with a variety of sophisticated features. These features help users paying bills online to communicate with friends. After all, it is trusted by hundreds of millions of people because of this versatility.
As a WeChat user, you should create a WeChat backup on a regular basis. That is particularly important since you use WeChat for purposes like messaging, online bill payments, etc. The invoices sent and received, messages and contacts in WeChat will be exceptionally important for you. Therefore, every user is supposed to know how to create a WeChat backup.
A WeChat backup becomes exceptionally important in the event of a potential data loss. Yes, the data stored in WeChat may disappear due to several reasons. In general, WeChat Messages tend to expire after a certain period. Also, you may delete the messages accidentally. Anyway, keeping a WeChat backup is a very smart approach. With that being said, this article emphasizes how to create a WeChat backup. In fact, this article explains multiple methods to create WeChat backups.
Reasons to create a WeChat backup
There are many users who aren't aware of the possibilities of losing crucial data such as WeChat messages. So, in this section, we try to create a substantial awareness of the importance of creating a WeChat backup.
WeChat media has an expiration time
It is true that WeChat lets you view and share the media files you receive. You don't necessarily have to download those media. Instead, you can view those files through WeChat itself. However, these media files come with a certain expiration time. In other words, you will lose WeChat media files forever after a certain period. Therefore, you should create a backup of those files.
The possibility of accidental deletion
Due to the various actions we perform, we may accidentally delete WeChat data. For instance, cleaning cache memory and chat history is a regular process we perform. When you clear junk data, WeChat recognizes the files that aren't downloaded yet as unwanted files. Then, the files will be deleted permanently. However, if you have created a backup of those files, you will not lose that data.
Due to malware attack
As you may know, malware can cause various annoying troubles in our smart devices and computers. Some malware can crash the available data on your device. If you have backed up data, even a malware attack will not be able to do any damage.
Due to a corrupted firmware
A firmware failure is another issue that can cause WeChat data loss. Such data loss can occur in the event of a failed firmware installation or an update that went wrong. So, it is best recommended to create WeChat backup before any major OS update or reinstallation.
As we mentioned earlier, this article comprises of several methods to create WeChat backups. You may read these options and choose the best method.
Method 01: Using Dr.Fone – Restore Social App to create a WeChat backup (the best method)
The best and most recommended method mentioned in this article is using Dr.Fone – Restore Social App. In fact, dr.fone – Restore Social App is a very efficient app that offers plenty of features. This powerful software application makes it possible to perform backups really easier. It is compatible with other apps such as WhatsApp, Line, Viber, etc. in addition to WeChat. Apart from that, this respective app allows transferring WeChat data between different platforms. For instance, it allows transferring WeChat backup from iOS to Android.
The most noticeable feature associated with dr.fone – Restore Social App is that its convenience. It allows you to create WeChat backups easily and restore the data back on your phone depending on your requirement. More importantly, it allows you to preview data prior to creating a backup. Previewing can also be done before restoring the data.
Let's take a look at the most significant features associated with dr.fone – Restore Social App.
- dr.fone – Restore Social app doesn't require an internet connection to create a WeChat backup or backup and restore Kik Chat History.
- Creating WeChat backup can be done using an offline method (through a USB cable)
- This respective tool can create a WeChat backup significantly faster compared to all the other methods
- It features approx. 3X faster performance when compared to default WeChat backup and restore tool
Making a WeChat backup – step by step guide
From this point onwards, we elaborate on how to make a WeChat backup using Dr.Fone – Restore Social App.
01. First, you should download the dr.fone toolkit through the official website. Then, get it installed on the computer. These two steps are exceptionally easy for any user. Now, open the toolkit and select the option called “Restore Social App“.
02. Get your lightning cable ready and connect the iOS device into the computer. Now, you should go to the option called “WeChat“. Then, select the Backup button in order to get the process started.
03. This tool is powerful enough to analyze the device properly and find the contents you need to back up.
04. At the completion of this process, you will see a new screen with an option called ‘View It“. With this option, you have the opportunity of previewing the WeChat backup created on the computer. And, that's basically it.
Method 02: Crete a WeChat backup with WeChat backup & Restore
WeChat comes with a desktop version as well. It supports computers that run on Windows and Mac operating systems. To begin the process, you should start the software downloaded from the official website. Choose the version depending on your computer's operating system.
However, to use this method, you should have a Wi-Fi connection. Both the devices (computer and phone) should be connected to this network.
01. Download the client software of WeChat and get it installed on the computer. You will be able to see a QR code on the screen once the installed program is launched. To activate WeChat software, you should scan the QR code using your phone.
02. Then, you should click on the button labeled ‘Menu'. Under this menu, you will get an option called ‘Backup & Restore'.
03. In the next window, you will be asked to Backup up on PC or Restore on Phone. In this case, you should select Back Up on PC. It will show you the conversations available in WeChat. Click on the desired conversations you need to backup and press OK.
04. You should wait until the WeChat backup is created on your computer. Be sure that the internet connection is stable all the time until you finish the backup. Any interruption during the process will make you do it from the beginning.
Method 03: Creating a WeChat backup using a web-based method
Although WeChat web is an old-school method, it can be used to create WeChat backups. This section of the article offers necessary instructions to backup WeChat data through the web-based method.
01. First, visit WeChat web version and get the QR code scanned through your phone.
02. Ge the chat log opened in which you have the files you need to download. Click and hold in the image or the video you need to download. Then select more. You can select multiple files at once using this option. Then, select File Transfer icon and send the attachments to your account itself.
03. Now, you can go to the chat log once again, and you will see the attachments in the received section.
04. To download photos, you should right click on them and select the Download option. However, when it comes to videos, you should select ‘Save Video As'.
Method 04: Create a WeChat backup on another phone
Now, WeChat comes with a special option called Chat Log Migration. Through this option, you can simply transfer chat history of the WeChat app from an iOS device to another. To initiate this option, you will have to keep both the devices properly charged. Then, both the iOS devices must be collected to the same Wi-Fi connection.
- Get the phone where WeChat history is present. Now, go to Chat Log Migration option. It is located under General (Me – Settings – General).
- Go to Select Chat History/Transcript and select the conversations you need to transfer.
- Select Done
- Get the other iPhone and open WeChat. Use the same credentials and log into your WeChat account. Activate the app using the QR code.
Method 05: Use iTunes to create a WeChat backup
Now, let's see how to create a WeChat backup using iTunes. As you may already know, iTunes is a tool offered by Apple itself. So, if you need to get to know how to create a WeChat backup using iTunes, read it on.
- Connect the iPhone to your computer using an original lightning cable. Open iTunes.
- Go to the tab labeled Summary and select “This Computer” option is selected. It is found under “Backups” section.
- Now, click on the button labeled ‘Back Up Now'. iTunes will now start backing up WeChat data.
You can compare the above-mentioned methods to create WeChat backup and decide what is best for you. As we believe, however, using dr.fone – Restore Social App is the best method to create WeChat backup.