In case you come across WiFi issues on the iPhone, do not think that you are the sole person who is facing this issue. There are various iPhone users who have complained about ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi issue.‘ And, many of them are still facing this problem. People have told that they are unable to link to any network and sometimes, to a particular network.
There are a few people who are able to connect to a network successfully, but they report of slow connection. However, if you are unable to figure out what's the problem that is causing this issue, then we have a list of solutions to help you solve the ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi‘ issue. So, before taking the iPhone to an Apple Store or any repair center, try any of the methods given in the article.
Without any further ado, let's get started.
Part 1: Introduction to dr.fone-Repair (iOS System Recovery)
This tool is said to fix every type of iOS system problems and restore your iPhone to its normal state. It is quite easy to operate dr.fone-Repair. Moreover, you will only require ten minutes to execute the process without the loss of data.
Usually, if iPhone/iPad begins to malfunction, you choose iTunes to recover the data. If you have created a backup, then it is fine; otherwise, you will face the loss of data of the device. So, to ensure that you perform the repair process with no data loss, dr.fone-Repair comes in the frame. It is the best tool to solve any iOS issue.
Characteristics of dr.fone-Repair
- Repairs the iOS devices without the loss of data
- Compatible with every model of iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone. Also supports iPhone Operating Systems (iOS) 12 and 12.3
- Simple and convenient process. Anyone can use dr.fone to fix iOS issues
- Repairs various issues, such as boot loop, the white logo of Apple, etc
Issues fixed by dr.fone
This tool is said to fix every issue of iOS systems. If you face any iOS issues in the future, use dr.fone to get your work done. Here is a list of all the problems fixed by dr.fone.
- White screen
- Black screen
- Trapped in the DFU Mode
- Stuck in the Recovery Mode
- Boot Loop
- The device keeps restarting
- The device freezes
- Other iOS issues
The use of the iTunes Restore process or any different way to fix iOS issues results in the risk of losing data. But with dr.fone, there is no stress of losing data. You just have to connect your device and follow the steps to execute the process. You will not lose any data during the process. Therefore, dr.fone is considered to be the best tool to solve iOS issues.
Multiple things can result in WiFi connection issues. The basic issues that cause ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi' issue are, you might have put your phone on airplane mode, or maybe the router that you wish to connect to is quite far. A poor signal can also slow down the connection.
Other than these issues, any software bug can be a possible reason too.
Now that you are aware of the potential reasons for this issue, we will tell you how to solve the ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi' issue. Here is a list of all the possible ways to help you repair this issue.
1. Disable the WiFi connection and turn it on
If the iPhone doesn't connect to WiFi or even if it connects but the signal keeps dropping, use simple tips to sort the issue. You just need to turn off the WiFi connection from the control center. Wait for a few seconds and enable the WiFi again.
You can also disable the WiFi via Settings. Head to Settings and tap on the ‘WiFi‘ option. Slide the button next to WiFi to disable it.
Besides, if you are facing the issue of Phone Won't Connect to Wi-Fi, click to fix it now.
2. Check Airplane Mode to Fix “iPhone Won’t Connect to WiFi”
As we mentioned above, airplane mode can be a reason for the ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi' issue. There are chances that you might have accidentally enabled the airplane mode. Therefore, the WiFi is not connecting. So, check if that's the case and disable the airplane mode. Now, see if you can connect to the WiFi now.
Toggling airplane mode on your device is very effective, and it can solve the issue in a few seconds. Head to the ‘Settings‘ option in the iPhone and enable the airplane mode. Now, wait for around 25-30 seconds and disable the airplane mode.
After doing this, try connecting to a WiFi connection again and see if the issue has been solved.
3. Disable the Bluetooth
Another reason for the ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi' issue is Bluetooth. Bluetooth can result in trouble with the WiFi connection. Therefore, disable it to see if it solves the issue. You can either head to the Settings app to disable the Bluetooth or swipe up the control center from the home screen to turn it off.
4. Restart the iPad or iPhone
Restarting the device can produce effective results if the device is unable to link to a WiFi connection.
- 1. Tap and hold the wake/sleep button.
- 2. Move the ‘Slide to power off‘ option to power off the device.
- 3. As soon as the device turns off, wait for some time and power on the device with the same button.
5. WiFi Assist to Fix “iPhone Won’t Connect to WiFi”
Those who have installed the iOS 9 or the versions later than this, then WiFi Assist must be a familiar term to them. This feature lets you have an unwavering internet connection. In case the WiFi network is slow and poor, the WiFi Assist feature will switch to the cellular network automatically.
Head to the Settings app on the iPhone and select the Cellular option. Now, turn on the feature and then turn it off.
6. Disable the Location Services
Multiple users have claimed that disabling the location services for the WiFi networking has solved the iPhone won't connect to WiFi issue.
Follow the steps to know what to do.
- 1. Head to the Settings and hit on the privacy option.
- 2. Now, click on Location Services.
- 3. Choose the System Services option.
- 4. Disable WiFi networking.
7. Restart the Modem and the Router
In case the iPad or iPhone does not connect to the WiFi at your home, but links to other networks, we recommend you to restart the modem and the router. Unplug both of them and wait for a while. Now, plug them back and wait for around 2 minutes. Then, connect to the WiFi again.
If you face this type of situation in the future, use this method.
8. Forget the WiFi connection
Are you still facing the “iPhone won't connect to WiFi” issue? Then, try this method and see if it works well.
- 1. Head to the Settings app.
- 2. Choose the WiFi option.
- 3. Now, select the info option (i) beside the network that you wish to forget.
- 4. Choose the ‘Forget this network.'
- 5. Now, hit on Forget to verify the action.
After performing all these steps, head to WiFi option again, select a WiFi connection, and type the password.
Most of the users have complained that the iPhone fails to connect to a few networks or iPhone 6 is not able to link to home WiFi. In this case, people have used the above-mentioned method to solve the problem.
9. Make changes in DNS Settings
The issue of the iPhone won't connect to WiFi can be solved by changing the DNS settings. You can make use of Open DNS or Google DNS. Follow the steps to perform this technique.
- 1. Open the Settings application and choose the WiFi option.
- 2. Look for your network and hit on the info (i) button beside the preferred network.
- 3. The DNS can be seen, hit on those numbers.
- 4. You will see a keyboard; fill up the fresh DNS number.
10. Reset the Network Settings
If the solutions mentioned above didn't help you to solve the iPhone won't connect to WiFi issue, then try this solution.
This method will reset every network connection option, including cellular settings, WiFi, VPN/APN settings, and all the saved networks with their passwords.
Here is a guide to do it.
- 1. Go to the Settings application.
- 2. Now, tap on General.
- 3. Choose the Reset option.
- 4. Hit on the reset network settings button.
- 5. Fill in the passcode if needed.
- 6. Select Reset network settings in order to verify your action.
11. Update the router firmware to Fix “iPhone Won’t Connect to WiFi”
In case your iPhone fails to connect to a WiFi network, try to update the router firmware. This will probably fix the issue. You need to search the model of the router as well as the version number. You can look for this information on the device box or the manual. Other than this, the model number and the version are usually written on the router. Head to the official site of the manufacturer and find the Download section. Search your router, download it, and begin the installation process of the firmware. In case you don't know how to perform these steps, you can search the guide for instructions on the site of the manufacturer.
12. Update Software
Software bugs cause various types of issues, such as unique WiFi problems. Therefore, always ensure that you have the latest software. The software can be updated wirelessly, but it can probably be a bit tricky if the network keeps dropping. In case the iPhone doesn't connect to any WiFi network, then this solution cannot be used. So, instead of this, you can use iTunes to update the device's software.
Follow the steps if you are connected to a strong network.
- 1. Open the Settings.
- 2. Tap on the General option.
- 3. Tap on the Software Update.
- 4. Click on the Download and Install button.
If you have already downloaded the recent iPhone operating system but did not install the OS, then follow these steps.
- 1. Head to Settings.
- 2. Hit the General Button.
- 3. Tap on the Software Update option.
- 4. And select Install Now.
13. iTunes to update software
If the software can't be updated wirelessly, use iTunes. Before using iTunes, ensure that you have the latest version installed on the device. Now, follow the steps given below.
- 1. Connect the iPhone to PC.
- 2. Open iTunes.
- 3. Choose your iPhone.
- 4. Now, tap on ‘Summary.'
- 5. Select ‘Check for Update.'
- 6. In case you notice a fresh version of the iPhone operating system, tap on ‘Download and Install‘ or select ‘Update.'
14. Restore the iPhone to factory settings with iTunes
If you tried every other method and it didn't work, then try to fix the ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi' issue with this method. It is possible to restore the iPhone to factory settings with iTunes. All the things that you have stored on the device, such as applications, files, and all the settings will be removed.
To execute the process, follow the steps.
- 1. Install the recent iTunes software.
- 2. Launch iTunes software.
- 3. Connect the iPhone to the PC.
- 4. Choose your iPhone.
- 5. Search for the ‘Restore iPhone‘ option in the summary section and tap on it.
- 6. Select the Restore option to verify the action.
- 7. After doing this, the iTunes tool will remove your iPhone. It will begin installing the recent version of iOS software.
- 8. Upon completion of the installation process, your device will restart.
- 9. Follow every step to set your iPhone to a new state.
15. Renew the lease to Fix “iPhone Won’t Connect to WiFi”
With the help of this method, you will receive a fresh Internet Protocol (IP) address from the router. Now, with the fresh IP address, you can connect to the WiFi connection easily, and the connection won't drop any longer.
Follow these steps to execute this method.
- 1. Open the Settings application.
- 2. Go to WiFi.
- 3. Search the WiFi network.
- 4. Hit on the (i) button beside the network.
- 5. Click on the ‘Renew Lease‘ option.
So, these were all the solutions for the iPhone won't connect to WiFi issue. We truly believe that these solutions will help you in fixing the issue. All the solutions have been tested by experts; therefore, they are reliable as well as easy.
Many people have a few questions regarding the iPhone won't connect to WiFi problem. Here is a list of all the frequently asked questions about this topic. Hopefully, your doubts will be clear now.
WiFi doesn't connect on grayed out
There are a lot of people who have complained about the above-mentioned problem. You can attempt multiple things to solve the issue.
According to Ifixit, this problem is related to thermal shock. You can try some solutions written below.
- 1. Keep the iPhone in the freezer for around fifteen minutes, or else place it under any lamp for about thirty minutes.
- 2. The next solution is to gently heat the iPhone with a hairdryer on the front camera and speaker. You need to ensure that you don't cause any harm to the battery or screen. Place the iPhone at a distance of 7-10 inches from the device. As soon as you witness a temperature warning, instantly put the iPhone in the freezer for around fifteen minutes.
This is the first solution to fix the issue. If this doesn't work for you, we recommend you to try another solution for the same problem.
Another solution to fix the issue is given below.
- 1. Toggle the airplane mode between ON and OFF buttons.
- 2. Restart the device. Tap and hold the wake/sleep key, move the slider to switch off the device. Again, press the same button to power on the device.
- 3. Reset the network settings. Open Settings and go to General. Now find the Reset option and click on Reset all the settings.
- 4. Now, update the iPhone Operating System (iOS) software.
- 5. Reset every setting. Head to Settings and click on General. Now tap on Reset and click reset all settings.
- 6. The last step is to restore the device to factory settings with iTunes.
Hopefully, this method will solve the grayed out problem. Just remember to follow the steps in a proper sequence.
WiFi shows incorrect password on iPhone
In case the iPhone is unable to connect to a WiFi network by saying that the password is incorrect. You can solve the issue by the solution written below.
- 1. In case you are trying to connect to a WiFi network for the very first time, ensure that the password you have entered is correct.
- 2. Toggle the Airplane mode between ON and OFF.
- 3. Restart the iPhone. Tap and hold the wake/sleep key. Next, turn off the device. As soon as the device gets switched off, turn it on again.
- 4. Now, restart the router.
- 5. In the last step, you need to reset the network settings.
- 6. Update the iPhone Operating System (iOS).
- 7. Now, make changes in your WiFi password.
- 8. Restore the iPhone to factory settings with iTunes.
These steps will solve the incorrect password problem. Make sure you perform every step in a sequence.
WiFi issues after updating iOS in iPhones
It is advisable to update the iOS on time as it helps to fix the bugs, enhances the performance of the device, and brings some exciting features. However, there are a few problems that occur after updating iOS, such as the WiFi one. So, wait for the device to settle down after updating iOS. Or else, follow these steps.
- 1. Turn off WiFi then turn on.
- 2. Toggle the Airplane mode between ON and OFF.
- 3. Disable Bluetooth.
- 4. Now, tap on ‘Forget the network' option and connect again.
- 5. Then, restart the device and router as well.
- 6. Reset network settings. Head to Settings application and tap on General. Now, go to Reset and click on Reset network settings.
- 7. Now, reset all settings. Open Settings application and find the General option. Choose Reset and then, click on Reset all settings.
- 8. In the last step, restore the device to factory settings with iTunes.
All these solutions work on iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR and XS.
The solutions written in this article will hopefully solve the ‘iPhone won't connect to WiFi' issue. But, if you still come across this issue, we recommend you to contact Apple or visit an Apple Store near you. They will guide you in fixing this issue. Do not try to perform any risky method to solve the iPhone won't connect to WiFi issue as it might pose serious damage to the device. Therefore, it is advisable to seek expert help if the above solutions fail to help you.