A lot of users have had similar complaints that they were unable to Airdrop their pictures, even after trying multiple times. This problem started to occur after they updated their phones to iOS 11. Before we dive into the tips on how to troubleshoot the problem, let us help the user understand that they know how it works and whether their Airdrop not working is a genuine problem or is it an outcome of them not knowing the procedure.
PS: Click it If you are an inquiry on How to AirDrop on Mac to your iPhone.
Part 1. How do you use Airdrop?
Airdrop is an iOS feature that can be used between Macs and iOS devices. Many people do not use this feature as they do not know what they could do with it and how it works. In the following steps, we will teach you what is the correct way of using it so you could benefit from it. If you were an active user who was having difficulty with their Airdrop not working, then you can understand if it is a software problem or were you not following the right steps of doing so.
Turning on Airdrop
- The first thing that you have to do is to open the Control Center by swiping up on an unlocked screen.
- You will be able to see the Airdrop option on the Control Panel. Tap it.
- Now, you have to choose between the three options, which are off, contacts only, and everyone.
- Choose an option that you like.
By following these simple steps, you have turned on the Airdrop mode so now you can receive or send photos through it.
How to send pictures
If you are able to exchange data without any problem, then your Airdrop is working. Otherwise your Airdrop not working is a genuine problem.
- You will have to go to your photos app and choose a picture that you want to share.
- Click on the option to share.
- Now, click on the Airdrop logo and all the devices next to you that have their Airdrop settings on will appear on the screen.
- Press send. The recipient of the picture will need to accept the request before he or she gets the picture. After they accept it, your transfer is complete.
How to receive pictures
If you are able to receive the pictures without any problem, then there is nothing wrong with your Airdrop, but if you are unable to receive the data, then your Airdrop not working complaint is genuine.
Part 2. Ways to Fix ‘Airdrop Not Working' issue
If you are facing some problems with your Airdrop feature, then try using the following troubleshooting tips and see if the ‘Airdrop not working‘ problem gets resolved or not.
Trying to force restart your phone is a good way to see if your Airdrop is working or not. Believe it or not, but rebooting your iOS device tends to solve the problem 70% of the time if not more. Here is a way in which you could force restart your device t solve the Airdrop not working problem.
iPhone 7 or 7 Plus – You have to hold down the sleep/wake button with the volume down button for about 10 seconds of time or until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
iPhone 6s or older – Press the Home Button along with the sleep/wake button for about 10 seconds or until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
You will have to check whether your hotspot is on or not. This is because Airdrop and Personal Hotspot both need Wi-Fi to perform their respective tasks. This could cause a clash between the two as Airdrop doesn't work if you are using Personal Hotspot. You could simply follow the steps below to turn off Hotspot so that the Airdrop feature could work otherwise the Airdrop not working problem would continue.
- Go to Settings and open the option titled Cellular.
- Go to the option of Personal Hotspot and turn it off.
If you change the setting for Airdrop on your device, you could potentially make it work again. One of the reasons that you are not able to transfer files from your Mac to your iPhone or vice-versa is because your device is not visible. You could solve this problem simply by changing the discoverability of the device by following the steps mentioned below. This is one of the reasons why the Airdrop not working was a problem.
- Swipe up on the bottom of the screen to bring up the Control Center. Click on the Airdrop option and choose one to make your device visible to them.
- Choosing everyone as an option is recommended as it is the most convenient. All the other Apple devices with the same settings on that are nearby would pop up on your screen.
In order for the Airdrop feature to work flawlessly, it is important that both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on. When the Airplane Mode is turned on, it basically cuts off all sorts of wireless networks and connectivity. This includes being connected to the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, which stops the Airdrop from working.
Turning off Airplane Mode – Swipe up on the bottom of the Control Center and click on the Airplane Mode to turn it off.
Airdrop uses the Bluetooth so it can determine and access the proximity of the two devices while Wi-Fi is required to transfer the data. If only one is on while the other isn't then the Airdrop not working problem would continue.
Restart Wi-Fi and Bluetooth – Swipe in an upward motion to bring the Control Center then press the icons for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth respectively to turn them off and then on again.
The data that you send and receive gets logged into your iCloud Account if you used Airdrop with people from your contact list. You will have to make sure that either the email ID or the mobile number of the person is saved on your device. If it is not then it won't show in the logs that you used Airdrop with the person. If you are Airdropping between devices which you own then log into both accounts using the same ID and the password.
If nothing else seems to be working then trying to reset your network would be your last resort. Resetting the network setting basically takes all the settings back to default. Any changes that you would have made in the settings will not work and will go back to as they were. You will have to customize the some of the settings such as Wi-Fi. This should solve the Airdrop not working problem.
- Open Settings and click on General
- Tap on reset and then click on Reset Network Settings.
Some users complained that Airdrop was not working after they updated their devices to iOS 11.03 or iOS 11. 01. You could try and update it to iOS 11. 2 or above and see whether it solves the Airdrop not working problem or not.
- Go to Settings and then click on General.
- Go to Software Update and see if you have any updates that you could download.
If none of the tips that were mentioned above seemed to work, then there is probably some problem with the iOS of your device. The only way in which you could make the Airdrop issue go away is by using iMyFone Fixppo iOS System Recovery.
iMyFone Fixppo (supported by iOS 12) Features
- This software can repair device without causing any loss of data whatsoever.
- It can also fix many types of iOS issues like verification failed on iPhone, Apple Music not working, iMessage doesn't say delivered,, iPhone won't make calls or receive calls, iPhone stuck in recovery mode, DFU mode or Apple logo & YouTube not working on iPad / iPhone.
- The personal information that is stored on your phone is protected. It is also simple to use.
- It is compatible with various models like iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad.
Airdrop is a great feature that is introduced exclusively for Apple users. Although some users do face problems in using it, following the simple steps mentioned above could easily eliminate the problem of Airdrop not working. After you have read the whole article, you will have a better idea of which method would work the best for you.